Thursday, January 22, 2009

What I Know About

I just realized that I didn't explain why I've started this blog, on this blog. I gave the explanation on my existing blog, imagesisee.blogspot.com. So I guess I need to clarify.

I've just begun an online course for Writing for Magazines. It's through www.ed2go.com If you've never heard of it, check it out. They have some really nifty courses--short and sweet and very, very informative, and nicely priced. Anyway, the course started yesterday. It's 6 weeks long, two lessons/week. In the first lesson, the instructor said, "if you want to write, write about what you know, or what you want to know about". Hmmm sounds easier than it is, I think.

So here's a list of "what I Know About" (ranging from knowing very little to knowing something--and not necessarily in order of the amount of my knowledge--on a percentage scale, maybe 2% to 50%):

Glen (my home town)
cats
being a friend
being a mom
pizza
photography
being a church secretary
being part of an organization
travel
NY state
Maine
attending church
being a Christian
loving music
writing a blog
reading
growing up in NYC
attending college in ND
homeschooling
being an only child
cooking
baking
knitting
sewing
cross-stitching

"What I want to Know About". Now that's much trickier. If I don't know about it, how do I know if I want to know about it? Well, here are a few things:

organizing travel tours
going to Europe
forensic photography
outrigger canoe racing

See! I already can't think of more things I want to know about. Hopefully ideas will come to me along the way. I'm keeping a pen-and-paper-journal as well as this blog, so even if I don't list the things here, I'll hopefully have them written down somewhere.

Here's something I do know however. Driving around in Honolulu is an exercise in(1) patience (oh my gosh, it's rush hour--which it seems to be most of the time--and the traffic is bumper to bumper), (2)imagination (well if I take that turn, will I end up in Waikiki or the North Shore?), and (3)hoping you have enough money in your wallet to fill the gas tank after idling in traffic for hours and/or going miles and miles out of your way because that really wasn't the correct turn to take 10 miles and one hour ago.

So maybe that's my first writing assignment (whenever I get an assignment)--writing about driving in Honolulu. Last year I heard someone on the radio say this: the streets in Honolulu resemble the aftermath of a spaghetti fight in an elementary cafeteria. So, so true!